As an older adult, why should I eat healthy?

Audrey K. Chun, MD
Geriatric Medicine
According to a study in the "Journal of the American Dietetic Association," older adults who follow current guidelines to eat a diet comprising mostly vegetables, fruit, whole grains, low-fat dairy, fish and poultry, are more likely to have a better "nutritional status," a higher quality of life, and live longer than those whose diets are high in fat and sugar.

The study included 2,500 participants ages 70 to 79 and is the first to associate the dietary patterns of a relatively large cohort of older adults with survival. Such studies are becoming increasingly valuable as the number of adults age 65 and older continues to rise and the leading causes of death shift from infectious diseases to chronic diseases like cancer and cardiovascular disease, which may be affected by diet.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nutrition

Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Nuts
Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Nuts
When you nosh on walnuts, almonds and other nuts, you're dipping into a goldmine of anti-inflammatory goodness. Nuts are packed with omega-3 fatty aci...
How can I change my diet to help reduce acne?
Kulreet Chaudhary, MDKulreet Chaudhary, MD
From an ayurvedic perspective, the health of your skin is directly related to your diet. In fact, on...
Mediterranean-Style Dinners Under 600 Calories
Mediterranean-Style Dinners Under 600 CaloriesMediterranean-Style Dinners Under 600 CaloriesMediterranean-Style Dinners Under 600 CaloriesMediterranean-Style Dinners Under 600 Calories
Make quick, healthy meals inspired by Dr. Oz’s Mediterranean diet plan.
How Do We Fight Obesity?
How Do We Fight Obesity?