What should my teenager eat and drink for healthy bones?

The teenage years are a prime time to build up strong bones. Most people reach peak bone mass (the point at which they have as much bone as they will ever have) by age 30. The greater your peak bone mass, the more protection your bones will have as you get older. Help your teen limit his or her intake of soda pop by not keeping it in the house. Instead, stock up on beverages and foods that are rich in calcium and vitamin D. Try low-or non-fat milk or yogurt, dark green leafy vegetables, almonds, salmon, and corn tortillas.

Continue Learning about Diet - Bones & Joints

How does prebiotic fiber help keep my bones healthy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Prebiotic fiber is thought to improve bone-mineral density. In a Baylor College of Medicine study, r...
How can eating pineapple and papaya help relieve joint pain?
Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain, and papaya has the enzyme papain. In general, these enzymes...
What to Eat for Strong Bones
What to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong Bones
Find out which foods keep bones healthy and protect against bone loss.
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine