What should I eat to strengthen my bones?

To get and maintain healthy bones, you need calcium. You also need vitamin D, which helps your body to absorb the calcium. Many foods are rich in one or both of these. Try adding dark green vegetables, low or non-fat dairy products, salmon and almonds to your diet for good bone health.
Kat Barefield, MS, RD
Calcium is essential for strong bones, but you also need vitamin D to help your body absorb it. Lots of people don’t get enough vitamin D; eating fatty fish, such as the salmon in this delicious dish, twice a week is an easyway to boost the D in your diet.
Norwegian-Style Oven Roasted Salmon
  • Makes 6 servings
  • 1/3 cup of honey
  • ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • ¾ ounce garlic, minced
  • ¼ tablespoon salt
  • ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ¾ teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons white wine
  • ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 ounces parsley leaves, chopped
  • Six 3-ounce salmon fillets
Combine honey, lemon juice, garlic, salt, cumin, paprika, coriander, wine, oil and parsley and mix well.Pour over salmon and marinate overnight in refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove fish from marinade and place in baking pan.  Discard marinade.
Bake salmon for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

Continue Learning about Diet - Bones & Joints

What is the effect of vitamin K supplementation on bones?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Vitamin K is needed to create two proteins found in bone and plays a significant role in activating ...
How can eating prunes help strengthen my bones?
Prunes (also known as dried plums) are filled with compounds called polyphenols that rebalance your ...
What to Eat for Strong Bones
What to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong Bones
Find out which foods keep bones healthy and protect against bone loss.
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine