How can eating salad help build my bones?

Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a salad on the side.

Salad? Yep, salad. A 4-year study found that older adults with the highest intakes of carotenoids -- think tomatoes, carrots, and leafy greens for major sources -- retained more bone mineral density than folks eating fewer fruits and veggies.

Fruits and vegetables are bursting with antioxidants called carotenoids -- including compounds like lycopene, beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin, to name a few. Don't bother trying to pronounce them. Just know that veggie-stacked salads will probably provide your daily needs and then some.

Carotenoids may protect bones by stymieing the oxidative stress thought to play a role in age-related weakening of bones. Carotenoids may also act synergistically with vitamin D to boost bone-cell growth. 

Continue Learning about Diet - Bones & Joints

How much calcium do adults need for good bone health?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Calcium requirements for women and men vary by age. According to the National Institutes of Health, ...
How does prebiotic fiber help keep my bones healthy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Prebiotic fiber is thought to improve bone-mineral density. In a Baylor College of Medicine study, r...
What to Eat for Strong Bones
What to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong Bones
Find out which foods keep bones healthy and protect against bone loss.
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine