Which foods should I avoid to keep my bones healthy?

Processed foods and beverages tend to be too high in phosphorus (as phosphates), sodium and sugar (or high-fructose corn syrup)—all of which are considered adverse risk factors for bone health. Too much phosphorus stimulates an increase in the parathyroid hormone, which in turn increases bone breakdown or resorption. If this breakdown is not balanced by new bone formation or an increase in bone mineralization, bone mass and density decline. Too much sodium, in combination with too little dietary potassium, directly interferes with the normal function of bone cells and may also alter their acid-base balance. Too much sugar yields too much fructose, which may increase renal losses of calcium in the process of renal-stone formation. And too much animal protein may contribute to a greater metabolic generation of acid that must be excreted, which results in acidic urine. Yet acidic urine can be readily neutralized by increasing daily consumption of base-generating fruits and vegetables.

Continue Learning about Diet - Bones & Joints

Which minerals are important for healthy bones?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Phosphorus and a number of other minerals, such as magnesium, potassium and zinc, have critical role...
How much calcium should I take for healthy bones?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
While the calcium recommendation for adults is approximately 1,000-1,200 milligrams per day (higher ...
What to Eat for Strong Bones
What to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong Bones
Find out which foods keep bones healthy and protect against bone loss.
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine