What is the effect of vitamin K supplementation on bones?

Vitamin K is needed to create two proteins found in bone and plays a significant role in activating osteoblasts (bone-forming cells). Without it, bones produce an abnormal form of these proteins that can’t bind to the minerals that normally form them. One Japanese study suggests that low vitamin K levels play a role in the breakdown of bone after menopause. Some researchers contend that postmenopausal women are at risk for a low-level vitamin K deficiency that the traditional blood-clotting test would not detect. In addition, the Framingham Heart Study found that seniors with a high dietary intake of vitamin K had a 65 percent lower risk of hip fractures.

Continue Learning about Diet - Bones & Joints

How can antioxidants in my diet improve my joint health?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Antioxidants help prevent free-radical formation, which can cause cartilage damage and inflammation....
Which minerals are important for healthy bones?
Phosphorus and a number of other minerals, such as magnesium, potassium and zinc, have critical role...
What to Eat for Strong Bones
What to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong Bones
Find out which foods keep bones healthy and protect against bone loss.
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine