What is the effect of vitamin K supplementation on bones?

Vitamin K is needed to create two proteins found in bone and plays a significant role in activating osteoblasts (bone-forming cells). Without it, bones produce an abnormal form of these proteins that can’t bind to the minerals that normally form them. One Japanese study suggests that low vitamin K levels play a role in the breakdown of bone after menopause. Some researchers contend that postmenopausal women are at risk for a low-level vitamin K deficiency that the traditional blood-clotting test would not detect. In addition, the Framingham Heart Study found that seniors with a high dietary intake of vitamin K had a 65 percent lower risk of hip fractures.

Continue Learning about Diet - Bones & Joints

Which foods should I avoid to keep my bones healthy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Processed foods and beverages tend to be too high in phosphorus (as phosphates), sodium and sugar (o...
How can eating salad help build my bones?
Keep your skeleton strong and fracture-free by serving that calcium supplement with a salad on t...
What to Eat for Strong Bones
What to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong BonesWhat to Eat for Strong Bones
Find out which foods keep bones healthy and protect against bone loss.
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine
Try This Calcium-Packed Cuisine