What foods are good for my child's brain?

A well-balanced diet can help children of any age optimize their brainpower or thinking skills in and out of the classroom.
  • Start with the power of breakfast. Studies show eating breakfast improves attention and is associated with higher academic achievement. A good pick: whole-grain cereal, like oatmeal, topped with fruit and nuts.
  • Eat brain foods throughout the day. It's important to keep energy and concentration up with regular meals and snacks. Avoid items that can cause a sugar rush followed by a crash. Good picks: proteins (turkey, tofu, beans and nuts), whole grains and whole fruits and vegetables.
Additional food for thought: A growing amount of research suggests omega-3 fatty acids, commonly found in fish such as salmon, help feed critical brain cell membranes that may aid in learning and memory.
Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Dairy foods are packed with protein and B vitamins, both are essential for growth of brain tissue, neurotransmitters, and enzymes. Milk and yogurt also provide a bigger punch with both protein and carbohydrates, which are the preferred source of energy for the brain.

Recent research suggests that children and teens need 10 times more than the recommended dose of vitamin D, a vitamin that benefits the neuromuscular system and the overall life cycle of human cells.

Continue Learning about Diet & Nervous System

Can fasting help keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Research shows that people who fast one day a week or month unlock a unique form of blood glucose th...
How can my diet affect my brain?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The Mediterranean diet, which contains food that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, has shown to be go...
Dr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain Health
Dr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain HealthDr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain HealthDr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain HealthDr. Amen’s Top Recipes for Better Brain Health
These recipes deliver brain-healthy nutrients to keep your mind sharp.
Foods That Boost Your Brain
Foods That Boost Your Brain