How do nutrition deficiencies affect oral health?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
When your body’s not getting enough proper nutrition, it can show up on your tongue, it can irritate your gums, it can harbor itself within the roots of your teeth, generally affecting your oral health. Very often, when something flares up, loosens or simply looks different within your mouth, it’s your body’s way of asking for some type of nutrient it doesn’t have enough of.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.
Deficiencies in vitamins and minerals can lead to skin and oral health problems, poor immunity, etc. This can cause gingivitis, inflammation of the gums. Lack of calcium and minerals can also affect the strength of the teeth and jaw bones.
Nutritional deficiencies affect oral health in many ways. If your diet lacks certain nutrients, it may be harder for your immune system to fend off infections in your mouth. This could increase your risk of periodontal (gum) disease and even tooth loss. To help keep your smile healthy, eat a well-balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables, especially dark green and orange ones.

Continue Learning about Diet & Your Teeth

4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
Backyard barbecues, afternoons spent poolside, and days at the amusement park just wouldn’t be the same without ice-cold lemonade. Unfortunately, the ...
What should my child drink for healthy teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
When considering what kids should drink for healthy teeth, choose beverages that hydrate and contrib...
What healthy foods can I eat if I have chewing problems?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
If you have chewing problems, make sure oral problems don't become a barrier to good nutrition. Choo...
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?