How should I clean my wine stained teeth?

The ADA advises patients to first consult with their dentist to determine the most appropriate treatment for whitening. A thorough oral examination by a dentist is essential to determine if bleaching is an appropriate course of treatment. This is especially important for patients with many fillings, crowns, and extremely dark stains on their teeth. 

Several whitening toothpastes that are available over-the-counter (OTC) have received the ADA Seal of Acceptance, which means they have been thoroughly tested for safety and effectiveness.
Peggy Rosen
Dentist
To clean your wine stained teeth:

First, you need to have your teeth cleaned from the dental office to ensure all plaque has been removed. Plaque is a soft, sticky, whitish film attached to tooth surfaces, formed largely by the growth of bacteria that colonize the teeth.

Second, consult with your dentist about whitening your teeth.
Tooth whitening can remove stains and discoloration from your teeth. These stains can come from drinking dark-colored liquids such as red wine, coffee, tea, or cola products. Your teeth actually contain pores that can hold these stains, so that over time your teeth are not as bright and clean as they used to be. Whitening toothpastes are available that can help remove stains on the enamel of your teeth. Also, your dentist can tell you about other cosmetic whitening solutions that may help clean your wine-stained teeth.

Continue Learning about Diet & Your Teeth