How does bulimia nervosa affect teeth?

The eating disorder bulimia nervosa not only harms overall health but also is particularly destructive to teeth. It involves secret repeated binge eating followed by purging -- self-induced vomiting, fasting and use of laxatives, diuretics or diet pills.

The digestive system contains strong acids that break down food. When vomiting is used to purge food from the body, these acids attack tooth enamel. Repeated vomiting can erode tooth enamel severely. Over time, teeth exposed to stomach acids can become worn and translucent. The mouth, throat and salivary glands may become swollen and tender. Bad breath can result.

Continue Learning about Diet & Your Teeth

4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
4 Steps to a Healthier Lemonade
Backyard barbecues, afternoons spent poolside, and days at the amusement park just wouldn’t be the same without ice-cold lemonade. Unfortunately, the ...
Why is frequent snacking bad for my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Snacking a lot during the day can increase the risk of developing tooth decay. Plaque, a sticky ...
How can I find out if my diet is affecting my oral health?
Your mouth is your body’s initial point of contact with the nutrients you consume. So what you put i...
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?
Can Sugar-Free Drinks Hurt the Teeth?