What is traveler's diarrhea?

Traveler's diarrhea is the most common illness affecting travelers to developing countries. Onset is usually within a week of arrival, and symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain and bloating. Over 80% of traveler's diarrhea is caused by bacteria, the most common being enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC). Other cases may be caused by viruses or parasites.
Judy Caplan

This can be caused by a number of things. When you travel abroad there are different bacteria in the soil that can get into the food and cause problems. Diarrhea is when the bowel evacuates loose watery stools. Sometimes just a change of drinking water can cause diarrhea. Often in less developed countries you can get infected with a parasite that can make you very sick with bad persistent diarrhea. If you return from abroad and are having continued diarrhea, a visit to an infectious disease travel doctor is recommended. Mostly though traveler's diarrhea is a temporary discomfort that goes away on its own.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
In 1984 Parker Bros. launched an Atari game that offered a new set of thrills: It was a treasure-hunting, puzzle-solving adventure called Montezuma's ...
What is secretory diarrhea?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
There are forms of chronic diarrhea that have nothing to do with food but are the result of fluids s...
When should I call my doctor if I have diarrhea?
If your diarrhea lasts three days or more, it's time to call the doctor. However, call immediately i...
What Work Is Being Done to Fight Diarrhea in the Developing World?