What foods and drinks should I avoid to help prevent diarrhea?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Specific foods may trigger diarrhea in some people. The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) has identified a number of foods you might try eliminating from your diet to see if your symptoms improve. According to the NIDDK, potential sources of trouble include caffeine, cured or smoked meats, spicy foods, alcohol, dairy products, fruits, fatty and greasy foods, and sweeteners (such as sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol, and fructose) that are found in many diet drinks, fruit drinks, sugarless gum, and candies.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
In 1984 Parker Bros. launched an Atari game that offered a new set of thrills: It was a treasure-hunting, puzzle-solving adventure called Montezuma's ...
What is traveler's diarrhea?
Traveler's diarrhea is the most common illness affecting travelers to developing countries. Onset ...
What foods may trigger diarrhea in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
A scientific study reported that the most common triggering foods and substances for functional diar...
How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect My Body?