What are the symptoms of traveler’s diarrhea?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
The primary symptom of “simple” traveler’s diarrhea is watery diarrhea that can be treated with fluids and other-the-counter medicines like Pepto-Bismol (bismuth) or Imodium (loperamide) that slows motility of the bowel. But beware: drugs that slow bowel motility and stop diarrhea could actually increase the length of the illness. Diarrhea is our body’s defense mechanism, ridding itself of the bacteria. Prophylaxis, or preventative antibiotics, such as doxycycline, ciprofloxin, TMP/SMX trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole can be taken on trips to avoid getting traveler’s diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Are There Side Effects to Having a Gallbladder Removed?
What Work Is Being Done to Fight Diarrhea in the Developing World?
How Does Ulcerative Colitis Affect My Body?