What are the symptoms of traveler’s diarrhea?

The primary symptom of simple traveler’s diarrhea is watery diarrhea that can be treated with fluids and other-the-counter medicines like Pepto-Bismol (bismuth) or Imodium (loperamide) that slows motility of the bowel. But beware: check with your doctor before you travel to determine which type of treatment you will need based on your own health needs.
Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
The primary symptom of “simple” traveler’s diarrhea is watery diarrhea that can be treated with fluids and other-the-counter medicines like Pepto-Bismol (bismuth) or Imodium (loperamide) that slows motility of the bowel. But beware: drugs that slow bowel motility and stop diarrhea could actually increase the length of the illness. Diarrhea is our body’s defense mechanism, ridding itself of the bacteria. Prophylaxis, or preventative antibiotics, such as doxycycline, ciprofloxin, TMP/SMX trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole can be taken on trips to avoid getting traveler’s diarrhea.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
In 1984 Parker Bros. launched an Atari game that offered a new set of thrills: It was a treasure-hunting, puzzle-solving adventure called Montezuma's ...
When should I call my doctor if I have diarrhea?
Lawrence S. Friedman, MDLawrence S. Friedman, MD
If your diarrhea lasts three days or more, it's time to call the doctor. However, call immediately i...
What are some brand name antidiarrheal medications?
There are many different brand names associated with antidiarrheal medications and they are usua...
What Work Is Being Done to Fight Diarrhea in the Developing World?