How can my medications cause diarrhea?

Lawrence S. Friedman, MD
Gastroenterology
A number of drugs, both prescription and over the counter, can cause diarrhea as a side effect. The most common culprits include antibiotics, antacids containing magnesium, and some blood pressure and heart medications. Because antibiotics kill some of the naturally occurring gastrointestinal (GI) bacteria, the gut becomes more vulnerable to attack by Clostridium difficile, a bacterium that produces toxins that can cause diarrhea. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported the emergence of a new, more virulent strain of C. difficile that causes more serious -- and more often deadly -- disease.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
In 1984 Parker Bros. launched an Atari game that offered a new set of thrills: It was a treasure-hunting, puzzle-solving adventure called Montezuma's ...
What is chronic functional diarrhea?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
A functional gastrointestinal disorder in which diarrhea is the predominant symptom is called chroni...
When should I see a doctor about diarrhea and bloating?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Diarrhea and bloating are usually caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites, certain medicines, food in...
Are There Side Effects to Having a Gallbladder Removed?