Does diarrhea always require treatment?

No, most types of diarrhea only require close observation and time for the virus or infection to pass. Avoid diarrhea medications, unless the doctor tells you to take them. The function of diarrhea is to rid the body of bad bugs. Often the only way to get better is to suffer through the loose stools.

Sometimes diarrhea can be treated with over-the-counter antidiarrheal medications, however, if diarrhea is caused by serious underlying medical issues, certain types of diarrhea cannot be treated by over-the-counter remedies. If you believe this to be the case, contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about Diarrhea

Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
Coping with Traveler’s Diarrhea
In 1984 Parker Bros. launched an Atari game that offered a new set of thrills: It was a treasure-hunting, puzzle-solving adventure called Montezuma's ...
Can I treat my diarrhea or excess gas symptoms with natural supplements?
Many natural supplements are available for treating diarrhea and gas symptoms. But in some cases of ...
What happens if I miss a dose of my antidiarrheal?
If you miss a dose of your antidiarrheal, you should try to take the next dose as soon as possib...
Are There Side Effects to Having a Gallbladder Removed?