Will I ever need to replace my diaphragm?

You should replace a diaphragm approximately every two years. Also, the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends having your diaphragm refitted if any of the following occurs:
  • your weight changes - see a doctor if you gain or lose 10 pounds or more
  • you have pelvic surgery
  • you have a baby
  • you have an abortion
  • you have persistent urinary tract infections
  • you or your partner feels pain or pressure during sex

Continue Learning about Diaphragms

Diaphragms

Diaphragms

A diaphragm is a dome-shaped form of birth control (barrier contraception) that is inserted into the vagina. When used with spermicide, diaphragms are 84% to 94% effective at preventing pregnancy when they are used every time you ...

have intercourse. Diaphragms do not protect against sexually transmitted diseases, so you should also use condoms to help prevent STDs.