What is a diaphragm?

A diaphragm is a form of birth control used by women. A diaphragm is made of flexible rubber and shaped like a dome. The diaphragm is inserted into the vagina (up to six hours before sex), where it covers the cervix at bottom of the uterus where it opens into the vagina. A product called spermicide, which destroys sperm, is used with the diaphragm. Spermicide destroys sperm. The diaphragm size must be determined by a doctor or nurse. DA diaphragm requires a prescription.

Continue Learning about Diaphragms

How can a diaphragm prevent pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The diaphragm is a shallow, dome-shaped, soft rubber cup that fits securely in the vagina to cover t...
What are the advantages of using a diaphragm?
Advantages of using diaphragm are as given below:Can be inserted up to six hours before sexMay help ...
Is it okay to leave a diaphragm in my vagina all day?
It is not recommended that a woman leave a diaphragm in all day, but if a woman is unable to put it ...
How long do I need to keep a diaphragm in place?
You can insert a diaphragm up to six hours before you have sex. (However, apply spermicide no mo...