If I use the diaphragm without spermicide, will it work at all?

Yes, but using a diaphragm without spermicide will reduce its effectiveness. Studies are now under way to assess the effectiveness of using the diaphragm alone to prevent some STIs. If you do not have spermicide, it is advisable to use another method, such as condoms, or have emergency contraceptive pills on hand.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Diaphragms

How long do I need to keep a diaphragm in place?
You can insert a diaphragm up to six hours before you have sex. (However, apply spermicide no mo...
What are the advantages of using a diaphragm?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Advantages of using diaphragm are as given below:Can be inserted up to six hours before sexMay help ...
How can a diaphragm prevent pregnancy?
The diaphragm is a shallow, dome-shaped, soft rubber cup that fits securely in the vagina to cover t...
Does using a diaphragm increase my risk of bladder infections?
Any action or device that increases the possibility of bacteria entering the urethra increases your ...