Are there any risks to using a diaphragm?

Women who use diaphragms may be more likely to develop urinary tract infections. These infections can cause pain and burning when you urinate and other symptoms. There is also a small risk that you will become pregnant. To reduce that risk, make sure that you understand all instructions for proper use of a diaphragm. Check your diaphragm for holes now and then by filling it with water to see if it leaks.

Continue Learning about Diaphragms

Do diaphragms prevent sexually transmitted diseases?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
No.  Diaphragms only protect against pregnancy by covering the cervix.  The mucous membranes of the ...
If I use the diaphragm without spermicide, will it work at all?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Yes, but using a diaphragm without spermicide will reduce its effectiveness. Studies are now under w...
How can I make sure my diaphragm works effectively?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A diaphragm is 82% to 94% effective when used every time you have intercourse, even during menst...
How can a diaphragm prevent pregnancy?
The diaphragm is a shallow, dome-shaped, soft rubber cup that fits securely in the vagina to cover t...