How long do I need to keep a diaphragm in place?

You can insert a diaphragm up to six hours before you have sex. (However, apply spermicide no more than two hours before sex.) You should leave a diaphragm in place for at least six hours after sex. Don't leave a diaphragm in place for more than 24 hours, however. Wash a diaphragm with mild soap. Be sure to rinse it very well after washing. After allowing it to air dry, store the diaphragm in its case.

Continue Learning about Diaphragms

What is a diaphragm?
A diaphragm is a form of birth control used by women. A diaphragm is made of flexible rubber and...
Will I ever need to replace my diaphragm?
You should replace a diaphragm approximately every two years. Also, the American Congress of Obs...
Is it okay to leave a diaphragm in my vagina all day?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
It is not recommended that a woman leave a diaphragm in all day, but if a woman is unable to put it ...
How do I use a diaphragm to prevent pregnancy?
Practice inserting and removing your diaphragm before sex play with a partner. It can be awkward at ...