Is it okay to leave a diaphragm in my vagina all day?

It is not recommended that a woman leave a diaphragm in all day, but if a woman is unable to put it in before intercourse, this may be an option. You should remove and wash the diaphragm every day to avoid urinary tract infections and toxic shock syndrome.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Diaphragms

How long do I need to keep a diaphragm in place?
You can insert a diaphragm up to six hours before you have sex. (However, apply spermicide no mo...
If I use the diaphragm without spermicide, will it work at all?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Yes, but using a diaphragm without spermicide will reduce its effectiveness. Studies are now under w...
How can I make sure my diaphragm works effectively?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
A diaphragm is 82% to 94% effective when used every time you have intercourse, even during menst...
Do diaphragms prevent sexually transmitted diseases?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
No.  Diaphragms only protect against pregnancy by covering the cervix.  The mucous membranes of the ...