What are the symptoms of diaper rash?

Deborah Mulligan
Deborah Mulligan on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
The classic diaper rash resulting from irritated skin appears as a flat red rash caused when a baby’s stool and urine break down the skin causing redness and irritation.

Diaper rashes caused from yeast give the appearance of a raised, pimply rash surrounding an area that looks red, raw and irritated.  

Your child may have one or more of the following symptoms:

• Skin redness and rawness
  • Diaper area blisters
  • Fussiness and discomfort when the diaper is wet or soiled
  • Diaper rash surrounded by red dots (yeast diaper rash)

You might see red, splotchy, chafed and/or inflamed skin along any area of skin that comes in direct contact with or is covered by the diaper.

Continue Learning about Diapering & Digestion In Babies

How often should my infant poop?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
Infants usually poop less often than newborns and some may only go once a week (how nice for those f...
What does it mean if my baby is projectile vomiting?
That means the pathway from his stomach to his intestines is blocked, preventing the stomach from em...
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?