Is it normal for my baby to spit up?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
All babies spit up, or reflux. Problems arise when babies are in pain when they spit up. If there is too much acid in the spit up, it can cause feeding aversion and/or inadequate weight gain. If your baby seems to be in pain, talk to your pediatrician about thickening feeds because thicker formula is harder to spit up. If this does not work, there are medications which will help lower the acid in the spit up.
All kids spit up. It's a form of reflux, as the sphincter at the bottom of the esophagus isn't always working, allowing the stomach contents to flow back up. To check the severity, measure out three or four ounces of milk and splash it on a towel or diaper. If that looks to be the amount he's spitting up, or if his spitting up is accompanied by crying, then it's probably a sign his reflux is more severe. Antacids and other medications can help, but do not try them without seeing your doctor.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Diapering & Digestion In Babies

What does it mean if my baby is projectile vomiting?
That means the pathway from his stomach to his intestines is blocked, preventing the stomach from em...
How is infant colic treated?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
There is no offical treatment for infant colic but other medical reasons for the infant's crying may...
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?