Why do infants spit up?

As food slides down, it moves into the esophagus pretty smoothly, then reaches the gastroesophageal junction, which joins the bottom of the esophagus to the top of the stomach. This is where a muscle contracts and prevents stomach acid from spilling up into the throat and causing heartburn. In infants, this muscle is often very lax, which is why they're prone to developing reflux, where food squirts back up from the stomach into the esophagus, causing spit-up or vomit.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Diapering & Digestion In Babies

How often will I have to change my baby's diaper?
If junior is having fewer than six wet or three soiled diapers a day for more than two days (or no s...
How do I know if the color of my baby's stool is normal?
Stools should be brown or a seedy yellow-green; formula-fed babies will have brown stools faster...
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?
How Can Diaper Changing Be Made Easier?
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash
3 Ways to Prevent & Treat Diaper Rash