How do I burp my baby?

You should burp your baby before moving him from one breast to the other, and then after he finishes. Hold him so that his head is over your shoulder, and rub or pat his back gently in an upward motion. The key to a successful burp: Provide a little counterpressure under his stomach with your collarbone. The gentle pushing against his belly, not the back pat, is what really does it -- although patting does dislodge bubbles. You can also do the rub-up strategy: Place a thumb on his belly and the rest of your hand on his back, and gently rub both upward, as if you're coaxing the gas bubbles up with your hand motion. This can be done over the shoulder, with Baby sitting on your lap with one hand as head and trunk support, or with him lying over your knees.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Diapering & Digestion In Babies