Will I need to take any medications during dialysis?

Dialysis treats kidney failure. If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, they may also recommend several different types of medications to help manage the complications of this condition. Therefore, you may need to take medication to control high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, anemia, and excessive fluids. You may also need to take heparin, a drug that helps prevent blood clotting, which is a complication of hemodialysis.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Does dialysis cause cramping?
Edtrina MossEdtrina Moss
Cramping can result from the process of dialysis as it relates to the rapid removal of fluid from th...
What types of dialysis are there?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis is a way of cleaning your blood when your kidneys no longer can. It gets rid of your body's...
How does dialysis affect what I eat?
If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, you will need to be aware of some special dietary needs. Dur...
What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will p...