Will I feel better after I start treatment for kidney disease?

If you are on dialysis, once you get used to the treatment, you should begin to feel better. The dialysis treatments will take over some of the work of your diseased kidneys and remove wastes and extra fluid from your body. This will improve many of your symptoms.  A successful kidney transplant may allow you to feel as close to the way you felt before you got kidney disease.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.