Will I be uncomfortable on hemodialysis?

When you begin hemodialysis, the needles put in your fistula or graft may feel uncomfortable. Most people get used to this with time. Your dialysis care team will make sure you are as comfortable as possible during your treatment. Symptoms like cramps, headaches, nausea or dizziness are not common, but if you do have any of them, ask your dialysis care team if any of the following steps could help you:
  • Slowing down your fluid removal, which could increase your dialysis time.
  • Increasing the amount of sodium in your dialysate.
  • Checking your high blood pressure medications.
  • Adjusting your dry weight, or target weight.
  • Cooling the dialysate a little.
  • Using a special medication to help prevent low blood pressure during dialysis.
You can help yourself to feel better by following your diet and fluid allowances, since the need to remove too much fluid during dialysis is one of the things that can make you feel uncomfortable during treatment.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Is it safe to reuse my dialyzer each dialysis treatment?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
With proper cleaning, it is generally safe to reuse your dialyzer each dialysis treatment. Before yo...
Will I need to speak to a psychiatrist if I want to stop dialysis?
If your healthcare team is concerned that you want to stop dialysis for solely emotional reasons or ...
How does my child's diet need to change before dialysis?
Before dialysis, some diet changes may be needed for your child. Phosphorus usually is limited at th...
What information do transient dialysis centers need from travelers?
If you are on hemodialysis and are traveling, most dialysis centers will require the following infor...