Why is a graft sometimes used for hemodialysis access?

If you have kidney failure that requires hemodialysis, an access to your bloodstream will be needed. If your blood vessels are not suitable for a fistula, a graft may be used. This involves joining an artery and nearby vein with a small, soft tube made of synthetic material. The graft is entirely beneath your skin.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What will happen to me if I stop dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
After stopping dialysis, death from kidney failure is usually painless. However, if you do feel any ...
How does dialysis affect the body?
Dialysis works like an artificial kidney by removing waste from the body. In hemodialysis, the most ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone in dialysis treatment?
Being in dialysis therapy can be overwhelming. Your support and care will go a long way in helping s...
How long will I need to stay on dialysis?
How long you stay on dialysis treatment depends on the type of kidney failure you have. If you have ...