Why is a catheter sometimes used for hemodialysis access?

If you have kidney failure that requires hemodialysis, an access to your bloodstream will be needed. One type of access, called a catheter, is inserted into a large vein in your neck or chest. The ends of the tubes sit on your skin outside your body. This type of access is recommended for temporary access. A catheter can be used immediately after placement. Catheters are used as a permanent access when a fistula or a graft cannot be placed.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Can I prevent the need for dialysis?
Dialysis is required when the kidneys are in failure. The diseases that most commonly lead to kidney...
What is dialysis?
Dialysis is a medical treatment that removes waste from the body when the kidneys are in failure. No...
How does dialysis affect what I drink?
Dialysis can help you overcome kidney failure and greatly improve your health. However, you will nee...
What symptoms does dialysis treat?
Dialysis treats many different symptoms, most of them related to two types of kidney failure: chroni...