When would I need dialysis?

You need dialysis if your kidneys no longer remove enough wastes and fluid from your blood to keep you healthy. This usually happens when you have only 10% to 15% of your kidney function left. You may have symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, swelling and fatigue.

However, even if you don't have these symptoms yet, you can still have a high level of wastes in your blood that may be toxic to your body. Your doctor is the best person to tell you when you should start dialysis.
Dialysis is needed when your kidneys are no longer working well enough to filter your blood and remove the toxins that build up. Doctors can use different tests to measure kidney function. But the one most commonly used is the glomerular filtration rate, or GFR. The GFR rates kidney function from normal (GFR >90) to Grade 5 (GFR <15). Dialysis is often needed at Stage 5, which is chronic kidney disease. 

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What is end-stage kidney disease?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
End-stage kidney disease occurs when about 85-90% of kidney function has been lost. People with kidn...
What are important things to remember if I am on a hemodialysis diet?
The following important tips can be helpful with your diet if you are on hemodialysis: Fresh or ...
How long can I live on dialysis?
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
How can I get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis?
In order to avoid excess fluid weight gain when you are on dialysis, you should maintain a healthy f...