When would I need dialysis?

You need dialysis if your kidneys no longer remove enough wastes and fluid from your blood to keep you healthy. This usually happens when you have only 10% to 15% of your kidney function left. You may have symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, swelling and fatigue.

However, even if you don't have these symptoms yet, you can still have a high level of wastes in your blood that may be toxic to your body. Your doctor is the best person to tell you when you should start dialysis.
Dialysis is needed when your kidneys are no longer working well enough to filter your blood and remove the toxins that build up. Doctors can use different tests to measure kidney function. But the one most commonly used is the glomerular filtration rate, or GFR. The GFR rates kidney function from normal (GFR >90) to Grade 5 (GFR <15). Dialysis is often needed at Stage 5, which is chronic kidney disease. 

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Does dialysis cure kidney failure?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis cannot cure kidney failure, but in some cases of sudden or acute kidney failure, dialysis m...
Will dialysis restrict my normal activities?
For conventional hemodialysis, you will need to visit a medical center three times a week for at lea...
Can I do home hemodialysis when traveling?
You can do home hemodialysis when you are traveling, although most people make arrangements for in-c...
What tests indicate whether I'm getting the right amount of dialysis?
One of the measures your dialysis care team may use is called urea reduction ratio (URR). Another me...