What will happen to me if I stop dialysis?

After stopping dialysis, death from kidney failure is usually painless. However, if you do feel any discomfort, pain medicine may be prescribed for you. Without your dialysis treatment, toxic wastes and fluid will build up in your body, making you feel more tired. The fluid build-up can make it more difficult for you to breathe, but your doctor can prescribe diuretics or a treatment called ultrafiltration to remove fluid and make breathing easier for you. The doctor may also recommend that you limit your intake of salt and fluids to reduce fluid weight gain. 

Typically however, there is no reason for you to continue to follow your renal diet at this time. Your doctor and dietitian can answer other specific questions you may have about diet.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How will dialysis affect me on a daily basis?
Rest assured that hundreds of thousands of people who are in dialysis therapy conduct normal, health...
Is dialysis a new medical treatment?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis have been done since the mid 1940s. Dialysis, as a regular trea...
What are the most common side effects of dialysis?
Many people on dialysis experience side effects of treatment. The most common side effects are: ...
Do children receive the same dialysis treatment as adults?
If children experience advanced kidney failure, they face the same treatment options as adults: dial...