What will happen to me if I stop dialysis?

After stopping dialysis, death from kidney failure is usually painless. However, if you do feel any discomfort, pain medicine may be prescribed for you. Without your dialysis treatment, toxic wastes and fluid will build up in your body, making you feel more tired. The fluid build-up can make it more difficult for you to breathe, but your doctor can prescribe diuretics or a treatment called ultrafiltration to remove fluid and make breathing easier for you. The doctor may also recommend that you limit your intake of salt and fluids to reduce fluid weight gain. 

Typically however, there is no reason for you to continue to follow your renal diet at this time. Your doctor and dietitian can answer other specific questions you may have about diet.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.