What tests indicate whether I'm getting the right amount of dialysis?

One of the measures your dialysis care team may use is called urea reduction ratio (URR). Another measure is called Kt/V (pronounced kay tee over vee). Ask your dialysis care team what measure they use and what your number is. To make sure that you are getting enough dialysis, your Kt/V should be at least 1.2, or your URR should be at least 65%.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How long can I live on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
How does dialysis affect the body?
Dialysis works like an artificial kidney by removing waste from the body. In hemodialysis, the most ...
What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will p...
How does a kidney dialysis machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A dialysis machine mimics some of the functions of a human kidney. A primary job of kidneys is to re...