What should I tell my doctor before starting peritoneal dialysis?

Before starting peritoneal dialysis, talk with your doctor about your medical history. Mention all prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins and supplements that you take. Tell your doctor about the following:
  • nutritional problems
  • lung or breathing problems 
  • low blood levels of minerals (including potassium, calcium and magnesium)
  • recent stomach conditions (such as surgeries, tumors, infections, hernias and open wounds)
  • if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding 
  • if you use insulin for diabetes
  • if you take blood pressure medications 
  • if you have allergies

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Is it safe to reuse my dialyzer each dialysis treatment?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
With proper cleaning, it is generally safe to reuse your dialyzer each dialysis treatment. Before yo...
Do children receive the same dialysis treatment as adults?
If children experience advanced kidney failure, they face the same treatment options as adults: dial...
Is dialysis a common treatment for kidney failure?
If you have been diagnosed with kidney failure, you are among the 23 million Americans aged 20 years...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...