What should I tell my doctor before starting peritoneal dialysis?

Before starting peritoneal dialysis, talk with your doctor about your medical history. Mention all prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins and supplements that you take. Tell your doctor about the following:
  • nutritional problems
  • lung or breathing problems 
  • low blood levels of minerals (including potassium, calcium and magnesium)
  • recent stomach conditions (such as surgeries, tumors, infections, hernias and open wounds)
  • if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding 
  • if you use insulin for diabetes
  • if you take blood pressure medications 
  • if you have allergies

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.