What is required to do hemodialysis at home?

In order to do hemodialysis at home, your home must have enough space for the equipment and enough water drainage and electric power to operate the dialysis machine and water purification unit. Medicare may help cover the cost of minor changes to your home for home hemodialysis.

You will also need a dialysis care partner. Usually this is a family member or friend, but may also be someone you hire to assist you. You and your partner will be trained in how to do hemodialysis at home.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How should I handle food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to handle food carefully to avoid contamination: Wash you...
What can I do to feel better after a dialysis treatment?
Edtrina MossEdtrina Moss
The key to feeling better after a dialysis treatment is based on what you do before or between dialy...
How will I pay for my dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis is expensive. However, the federal government's Medicare program pays 80% of all dialysis c...
What is end-stage kidney disease?
End-stage kidney disease occurs when about 85-90% of kidney function has been lost. People with kidn...