What happens to my medical records if I transfer to a new dialysis center?

There is an easy, secure way for your healthcare team to transfer your treatment records online if, for example, you're admitted to the hospital or if you need to relocate during an emergency evacuation. In 2009, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) created a centralized web-based data collection system called CROWNWeb to help reduce and eliminate treatment interruptions. This central system helps to streamline individual’s care regardless of the reason for changing dialysis centers. Your doctors and healthcare team can access up-to-date information about your dialysis so that you continue to receive appropriate care no matter where you are.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.