What are my pregnancy options if I am on dialysis?

If you are on dialysis, some changes in your body make it hard to become pregnant. For example, most women on dialysis have anemia (a low red blood cell count) and hormonal changes. This may keep these women from having regular menstrual periods.

Women with kidney failure are usually advised against becoming pregnant. The rate of complications is very high. Risks to both the mother and developing fetus are high. If you are thinking of becoming pregnant, talk to your healthcare provider. If you become pregnant, you will need close medical supervision, changes in medicine and more dialysis.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What will happen to me if I stop dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
After stopping dialysis, death from kidney failure is usually painless. However, if you do feel any ...
How often will I need dialysis?
You will need dialysis treatment anywhere from a few times a week to several times daily, depending ...
What determines my need for dialysis?
Dialysis replaces some of the work done by healthy kidneys and is needed when your own kidneys can n...
How should I prepare food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to shop for and prepare food carefully to avoid contamination...