What are important things to remember if I am on a hemodialysis diet?

The following important tips can be helpful with your diet if you are on hemodialysis:
  • Fresh or plain frozen vegetables contain no added salt. Drain all the cooking fluid before serving.
  • Canned fruits usually contain less potassium than fresh fruits. Drain all the fluid before serving.
  • Non-dairy creamers are low in phosphorus and can be used in place of milk.
  • Labels on food packages will give you information about some of the ingredients that may not be allowed in your diet. Learn to read these labels.
  • To help you avoid salt, many herbs and spices can be used to make your diet more interesting. Check with your dietitian for a list of these.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How does a kidney dialysis machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A dialysis machine mimics some of the functions of a human kidney. A primary job of kidneys is to re...
Can I stop dialysis treatment if I want to?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
There may come a time when you feel you want to discontinue dialysis treatment. You may feel that di...
How should I handle food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to handle food carefully to avoid contamination: Wash you...
How does dialysis affect what I drink?
Dialysis can help you overcome kidney failure and greatly improve your health. However, you will nee...