What can I do if I am on hemodialysis and get sick while traveling?

It is possible that you may unexpectedly require hospitalization when you are traveling. If this should happen, your transient doctor is prepared for this possibility and will care for you during your hospital stay. He or she will probably talk to your regular doctor to coordinate your care. You may feel more comfortable knowing that this coordination has taken place.

Before you begin your trip, you will most likely have a doctor assigned to you by your transient dialysis center. Find out how to contact the doctor when you first arrive. If you do become ill, call the dialysis center or doctor as instructed.

Being hospitalized while away from home can be a stressful experience for anyone, and it certainly can change your travel plans. Preparing ahead for this possibility can help make the experience less stressful. The following suggestions may be helpful:
  • Make sure your family knows your travel plans.
  • Make sure you have important phone numbers, such as your regular doctor and dialysis center. Have a copy of your medical records with you while traveling.
  • Make sure anyone who is traveling with you knows where you keep your records and your medical needs.
  • Make sure to bring enough medications for the entire trip, with enough extra for possible emergencies, such as lost luggage. Also carry written prescriptions, just in case.
If you are on hemodialysis, be realistic when planning travel activities. Don't overdo it. Allow enough time to enjoy activities without becoming overtired. Also, be sure to continue your dialysis diet and fluid restrictions.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What is artificial life support?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
Artificial life support are forms of medical technology used when your vital organ systems are faili...
How does my child's diet need to change before dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Before dialysis, some diet changes may be needed for your child. Phosphorus usually is limited at th...
Are there any alternatives to dialysis?
Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidn...
Can I do home hemodialysis when traveling?
You can do home hemodialysis when you are traveling, although most people make arrangements for in-c...