What fruits should I limit or avoid if I am on hemodialysis?

All fruits have some potassium, but certain fruits have more than others and should be limited or totally avoided if you are on hemodialysis. Limiting potassium protects your heart.

Limit or avoid the following fruits:
  • Oranges and orange juice
  • Kiwis
  • Nectarines
  • Prunes and prune juice
  • Raisins and dried fruit
  • Bananas
  • Melons (cantaloupe and honeydew)
  • Star fruit (carambola) -- always avoid this fruit.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

When is dialysis prescribed?
Dialysis is prescribed when the kidneys are in failure, or only 10%-15% of normal kidney function re...
Can I prevent the need for dialysis?
Dialysis is required when the kidneys are in failure. The diseases that most commonly lead to kidney...
What symptoms does dialysis treat?
Dialysis treats many different symptoms, most of them related to two types of kidney failure: chroni...
What are the risk factors for diseases that require dialysis?
Dialysis treats acute and chronic kidney failure. Some of the diseases that commonly cause kidney fa...