What determines my need for dialysis?

Dialysis replaces some of the work done by healthy kidneys and is needed when your own kidneys can no longer take care of your body's needs.

You need dialysis when you develop kidney failure which occurs when you lose about 85% to 90% of your kidney function and have a glomerular filtration rate (GFR) of <15.

Dialysis is prescribed when other treatments for chronic kidney failure are insufficient (kidney transplant is another option at this stage), or if your kidneys have about 10%-15% of function remaining. In chronic kidney failure, your doctor may recommend dialysis when certain complications, such as low urine production or heart failure, develop. Dialysis may be a short- or long-term treatment, depending on the conditions that cause kidney failure.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What should I do if I decide to stop dialysis treatment?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you decide to stop dialysis treatment, you or your surrogate may want to make sure the following ...
What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?
Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use s...
Is it safe to reuse my dialyzer each dialysis treatment?
With proper cleaning, it is generally safe to reuse your dialyzer each dialysis treatment. Before yo...
What do I need to know about caring for someone in dialysis treatment?
Being in dialysis therapy can be overwhelming. Your support and care will go a long way in helping s...