What should I consider if I am on dialysis and want to travel?

If you are on dialysis and want to travel, consider the following tips:
  • Hand-carry essential medical information, your medicines, and other medical supplies in case of the unexpected, such as lost luggage.
  • Bring enough of your medications to last for your entire trip, with enough extra to deal with possible emergencies. Also carry written prescriptions just in case.
  • If you need extra assistance boarding a plane or train, inform personnel when you check in so they can give you special instructions.
  • If you are planning to travel by plane or train, make arrangements for any special meals such as low-salt, low-fat or diabetic, at the time that you make your reservations.
  • When making a hotel reservation, you can request a first-floor room or a handicapped-accessible room, if stairs or distances are a problem.
  • If you use a travel agent, tell the agent about any special needs you may have, such as special meals, accessible rooms and assistance while changing planes. The agent can also advise you about special considerations regarding safe transport of dialysis supplies while traveling to foreign countries.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How will dialysis affect me on a daily basis?
Rest assured that hundreds of thousands of people who are in dialysis therapy conduct normal, health...
How long can I live on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
How can I get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis?
In order to avoid excess fluid weight gain when you are on dialysis, you should maintain a healthy f...
How will I pay for my dialysis?
Dialysis is expensive. However, the federal government's Medicare program pays 80% of all dialysis c...