What kind of birth control can I use if I am on dialysis?

Sexually active women who are on dialysis or have a kidney transplant, and have not undergone menopause, should use birth control to prevent pregnancy. Your healthcare provider can recommend the type of birth control that should be used.

Many women with high blood pressure should not use oral contraceptives, since this type of medicine can raise blood pressure and increase the chance of blood clots. The diaphragm and condom are usually the recommended means of birth control, especially when used with spermicidal creams, foams, or jellies. Some types of intrauterine devices (IUDs) are also possible.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Dialysis

Healthy kidneys remove waste from your blood and produce hormones your body needs. If your kidneys fail, you either need a kidney transplant or dialysis. Dialysis is a procedure that uses a machine to perform many of the functions ...

of the kidney. Dialysis can help prevent problems resulting from kidney failure and it allows people with kidney failure to live productive lives. Dialysis filters your blood, and like a health kidney, removes waste from your blood. Patients using dialysis are also required to follow a strict diet in order to stay healthy. There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. There are different advantages and disadvantages with both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Talk to your doctor about which type of dialysis would work better for you.