What can I ask to ensure I get quality hemodialysis care when traveling?

You may want to ask the following questions when making your arrangements for hemodialysis when traveling:
  • What is the average treatment length of dialysis at the center?
  • Can they provide the treatment time your doctor has prescribed?
  • What are the hours and days of operation? Traveling patients are often placed on an evening shift, which could end as early as 7:30 pm or as late as 2:00 am.
  • What types of dialyzers are used?
  • Do they have the same type of dialyzer that you use at your home center?
  • What types of dialysis machine does the center have (conventional, high flux capability)?
  • Does the center routinely provide lidocaine?
  • Are people permitted to eat or drink while on dialysis?
  • Is an ice machine available?
  • Is public transportation available to get to the center?
  • How many people are assigned to each nurse or patient care technician?
  • Can you get all the medications you get at your home center during dialysis?

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Is dialysis expensive?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dialysis costs a lot of money. However, the federal government through the Medicare program pays 80%...
How does a kidney dialysis machine work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A dialysis machine mimics some of the functions of a human kidney. A primary job of kidneys is to re...
How will I pay for my dialysis?
Dialysis is expensive. However, the federal government's Medicare program pays 80% of all dialysis c...
Is dialysis a new medical treatment?
Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis have been done since the mid 1940s. Dialysis, as a regular trea...