What is the safest exercise for someone with peritoneal dialysis?

Exercise can be beneficial for someone undergoing peritoneal dialysis.  The first step is to obtain a medical clearance from your medical team.  Your doctors may have recommendations on types of exercise.  Most exercise can be done safely.  So look for exercise that you enjoy and then perform the exercise at a safe duration and intensity.  If you are currently sedentary then start with 15 minutes at a low intensity.  A good rule is to use the "talk test".  If you can carry on a conversation without becoming out of breath then you are at an acceptable intensity.  Then as you become fit, increase the duration, 20 -30 minutes, but keep the intensity low.  Since exercise will have an affect on perscribed medications, consistant exercise is very important for the dialysis patient.  Keeping an accurate log of type of exercise, duration and intensity would also be benefical to ensure medical team has a correct account of exercise. 

Individuals with advanced medical conditions should always seek clearance from a qualified medical professional before engaging in exercise. 

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How does dialysis affect what I eat?
If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, you will need to be aware of some special dietary needs. Dur...
Will I need to take any medications during dialysis?
Dialysis treats kidney failure. If your doctor has prescribed dialysis, they may also recommend seve...
How can I get rid of excess fluid weight caused by dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
In order to avoid excess fluid weight gain when you are on dialysis, you should maintain a healthy f...
What happens between dialysis treatments?
Fluid and toxins can build up in your body between dialysis treatments. But you can help reduce thes...