Can a psychologist help a patient who is new to dialysis?

Dialysis is a life sustaining procedure, that requires three long sessions each week. Dialization usually takes about 4 to 5 hours a day, every other day, which put a great level of stress on the quality of your daily life.  Emotional adjustment to dialysis is a primary concern for any kidney patient and generally speaking, mental health therapists are available to help with your transition. If dialysis is to take place in a hospital setting, a psychologist or a social worker is on staff to attend to you emotional and psychological needs. Dialysis can also be arranged in nearby Dialysis Centers, where similar medical and mental health staff are available to help you make the best of this life saving procedure. 

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What insurance will cover the cost of dialysis if I travel?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
If you are on dialysis, Medicare is your primary insurance coverage when you travel. Medicare will p...
Can I prevent the need for dialysis?
Dialysis is required when the kidneys are in failure. The diseases that most commonly lead to kidney...
Can I stop dialysis treatment if I want to?
There may come a time when you feel you want to discontinue dialysis treatment. You may feel that di...
Are there any alternatives to dialysis?
Dialysis is a treatment for advanced kidney failure, which can be fatal if left untreated. When kidn...