Is it safe to reuse my dialyzer each dialysis treatment?

With proper cleaning, it is generally safe to reuse your dialyzer each dialysis treatment. Before you reuse your dialyzer, your dialysis center cleans it according to careful guidelines. Before each treatment, your dialyzer must be tested to make sure it is still working well. If your dialyzer no longer works well, it should be discarded and you should be given a new one. Ask your dialysis care team if they have tested your dialyzer and if it still works well.

If you do not wish to reuse your dialyzer, your center may be willing to provide you with a new dialyzer for each treatment. Ask about the center's policy on reuse.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Which type of dialysis should I get if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your doctor will help you decide whether hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis is right for you. Diabe...
What happens between dialysis treatments?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Fluid and toxins can build up in your body between dialysis treatments. But you can help reduce thes...
Can I prevent the need for dialysis?
Dialysis is required when the kidneys are in failure. The diseases that most commonly lead to kidney...
What symptoms does dialysis treat?
Dialysis treats many different symptoms, most of them related to two types of kidney failure: chroni...