Is dialysis painful?

The dialysis treatment itself is painless, but you may have some discomfort when the needles are put into your fistula or graft. Most people do not experience other problems, although some people may have a drop in their blood pressure. If this happens, you may feel sick to your stomach, vomit, have a headache or cramps. With frequent treatments, those side effects usually go away.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

How should I handle food to avoid contamination if I am on dialysis?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
If you are on dialysis, it’s important to handle food carefully to avoid contamination: Wash you...
What can I do if I have dry and itchy skin when on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Dry or itchy skin is experienced by many people undergoing dialysis, especially in the winter. Use s...
What should I consider if I am on dialysis and want to travel?
If you are on dialysis and want to travel, consider the following tips: Hand-carry essential med...
Will I need to speak to a psychiatrist if I want to stop dialysis?
If your healthcare team is concerned that you want to stop dialysis for solely emotional reasons or ...