Is dialysis a common treatment for kidney failure?

If you have been diagnosed with kidney failure, you are among the 23 million Americans aged 20 years and older with this disease. Over half million people with kidney failure have an advanced form of this condition, also referred to as end-stage renal disease, and nearly 75% of them receive some type of dialysis. The overwhelming majority of these people receive conventional dialysis in clinics.

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

Dialysis is the standard treatment for kidney failure around the world.  Dialysis has saved the lives of many people with end stage renal failure.  Hemodialysis was started as a regular treatment in 1960 and continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis in 1976.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

Can I receive dialysis at home?
The great majority of people on dialysis receive treatment at a hospital or clinic, but the number o...
How should I prepare for dialysis?
Several weeks or months before your first hemodialysis treatment, your doctor will need to prepare a...
Does dialysis cure kidney failure?
Dialysis does not cure kidney failure, but in certain cases it may reverse this condition and restor...
Is dialysis painful?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
The dialysis treatment itself is painless, but you may have some discomfort when the needles are put...