How can I prepare for travel if I am on peritoneal dialysis?

People on peritoneal dialysis are not dependent on the availability of a dialysis unit. However, you will still need to plan ahead and arrange for back-up medical care for your trips, as do people on hemodialysis. Typically, this would mean contacting a dialysis center in the area and asking if they would be available should a problem arise. The center may request a copy of your medical records in advance. You should always carry a copy of your records with you as well.

People who do continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) should carry enough supplies for the length of the trip, plus some extra supplies in case of problems. For longer stays, it may also be possible to arrange for delivery of supplies to your destination. Make sure these supplies have arrived before you leave for your trip. People on CAPD also need to plan for adequate clean space where they can do their exchanges while traveling.

People who do automatic peritoneal dialysis (APD) and who plan to travel for one week or longer can arrange for supplies to be delivered to their destination. Smaller cycler machines are now available, which are easy to carry on airplanes and use in hotel rooms and campers.

Continue Learning about Dialysis

What can I do if I have muscle cramping when on dialysis?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Muscle cramping can cause extreme discomfort to many people who are on dialysis. Since the cause of ...
Why does dialysis cause low blood pressure?
Low blood pressure is the most common side effect of dialysis. It affects one out of four people at ...
How long can I live on dialysis?
Now that doctors know more about how to treat kidney failure, people with the condition can live lon...
Can I go back on dialysis if I change my mind after stopping treatment?
You may go back on dialysis if you change your mind about stopping treatment. If you have missed sev...